- 1 and 1/2 cups warm water (between 100-110°F, 38-43°C)
- 3/4 teaspoons instant or active dry yeast
- 4 cups bread flour (or 2 cups bread flour with 2 cups white flour)
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil, to coat bowl
- 1 Tablespoon vegan butter, melted
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- Make the dough: Whisk the warm water and yeast together in the bowl. Cover and allow to sit for 5 minutes to activate.
- If you’r short on time, preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Once set, turn off the oven.
- Add the flour, sugar, and salt to the yeast and combine with your hands. The dough is very stiff and will look somewhat dry, but won’t be once you knead it.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. With lightly floured hands, knead the dough for 4-5 minutes. I don’t recommend a mixer as the dough is too heavy.
- Lightly grease a large bowl with olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl, turning it to coat all sides in the oil. Cover the bowl with aluminum foil, plastic wrap, or a clean kitchen towel. Allow the dough to rise at room temperature for 60-90 minutes or in the preheated oven with OVEN DOOR OPEN (30 mins), until double in size. If the dough doesn’t double, give it more time to rise. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Shape the bagels: When the dough is ready, punch it down to release any air bubbles. If the dough seems too wet, add a lil flour 1/2 tbsp at a time. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, doesn’t have to be exact.
- Shape each piece into a ball. Press a finger through the center of each ball to make a hole about 1.5 – 2 inches in diameter. Loosely cover the shaped bagels with kitchen towel and rest for a few minutes as you prepare the water bath. Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
- Water bath: Fill a large, wide pot with 2 quarts of water. Whisk in the maple syrup and baking soda. Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-high. If the bagels don’t puff up a lil before boiling, give them some more time. Drop bagels in, 1 or 2 at a time, making sure they have enough room to float around. Cook the bagels for 1-2 minutes on each side. Using a pastry brush, brush the vegan butter on top and around the sides of each bagel. Top with kosher salt. Place 4 bagels onto each lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. You want the bagels to be a dark golden brown. Now set the oven to broil and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Watch the bagels to prevent burning. Allow bagels to cool on the baking sheets for 15-20 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice, toast, and top with whatever you like! Keep bagels in a sealed container at room temperature to maintain freshness. * To freeze them for later use, do so immediately after baking.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Fries
- Cuisine: Appetizer
- Serving Size: 1