- 1 pound penne
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 whole medium onion, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup vodka
- 2 15 oz cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 1/2 cup almond milk (more as needed)
- 1 generous pinch red pepper flakes, plus more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Sauté the onions in 2 tablespoons butter and the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Pour in the vodka. Cook and reduce for 2 to 3 minutes, then pour in the tomatoes. Stir the mixture until it’s thoroughly combined.
- Add the soaked cashews, almond milk and nutritional yeast to a high powered blender. Blend until smooth. Add additional almond milk as needed to get things moving.
- Now add in the tomatoes/onion/garlic combo and blend until smooth.
- Pour the sauce back into the pan with the cooked pasta and cook low/med heat until warmed through.
- Sprinkle in the red pepper flakes and add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with basil if desired.
Soak cashews overnight or simply throw in the microwave with water and heat for 4-5 minutes adding more water as you go until soft.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving Size: 4