- 1 1/2 cups flour + 2tbs
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup almond milk combined w/1 tsp lemon juice “vegan buttermilk”
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (you could probably get away w/ 1/3 cup if you do icing on the top)
- 1 1/2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (from 1 lemon)juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 2tbs coconut oil, melted
- 1 heaping cup blueberries , fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
For a lemon glaze (Optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3–4 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease well the bottom and sides of a 9×5″ loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, lemons zest, and salt. You can throw the zest in the wet, but I find that it flavors the flour and creates additional flavor. In a large bowl combine the mashed bananas, almond milk (room temp) with lemon juice “vegan buttermilk”, coconut sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, and melted coconut oil. If the oil begins to solidify due to the cold almond milk, simply pop in the microwave for a minute.
- Slowly fold the dry ingredients into the wet, just until incorporated. (optional: In a separate bowl mix the blueberries with 1 Tbsp of flour) and then gently fold them into the mixed batter.
- Pour the batter into the pan and top with slivered almonds. Bake for 55 minutes – 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the glaze (Optional): Whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice and drizzle over the top of the loaf. Allow to set/harden before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Cake
- Cuisine: Dessert
- Serving Size: 1