- In large bowl, add 2/3 cup warm water, sugar, and yeast.
- After 5 minutes, add the oil, bread flour, white flour and salt to the yeast mixture.
- Combine with hands until it forms a dough
- Remove the dough from bowl, add a little bit of oil to coat the bowl and prevent sticking, and place dough back, cover with plastic wrap or a towel. Let proof for 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and fold in the finely chopped jalapeño avoiding adding in the seeds. I used about 1 1/2 jalapeños, you can always add more if desired.
- Break the dough into 4 sections and start shaping the dough. With each piece I work the middle with both hands and press outward to stretch the dough into ropes. Bring the dough around in a circle and twist as you come down and placing the opposite ends of the bottom and press. The thinner you make them the more defined they will be. I love big and fluffy so that was my approach.
- Preheat the oven to 425 Fahrenheit. in large pot, combine water and baking soda and bring it boil.
- After shaping the pretzels, soak the pretzels one at a time for 20-30 seconds. They should float to the top. Any more and they may have too much of a metallic taste. Place pretzel on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
- Top with vegan cheddar cheese and sliced jalapeños. Bake for 10 minutes. Rotate mid bake. Turn on broil.
- Bake for an additional 5, but watch the pretzels to prevent burning.
- Serving Size: 1