- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour, plus additional for rolling
- 2 Tablespoons Baking Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt (Kosher or Table Salt)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (8 tbsp), very cold
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (F). Line a large baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper; set aside.
- Place 1/2 cup butter in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Measure out the almond milk and add the lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. Allow to curdle, 5 minutes. (this is your buttermilk)
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt; whisk well to combine.
- Add the chilled vegan butter to the flour and using your fingertips rub the butter into the mix, stopping when the mixture is a coarse meal.
- Gradually add the almond milk stir with a fork just until a messy (sticky) ball is formed. Turn the dough out onto a generously floured surface and knead (with very floured hands) until the dough has been worked into a ball; about 6-7 times should do it. Don’t overwork the dough as they won’t rise well.
- Pat the ball down into a 1″ thick rectangle. With a rolling pin roll out a little larger, then fold in half. Continue to do this about 5x. This is how you create the flaky layers. If the butter seems to be melting, simply pop in the freezer for a few mins.
- Using a biscuit cutter cut out as many rounds as possible, re-rolling and folding in half as you did before.
- Place the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet bottom side up as it should be more flat. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Combine the ingredients for the hot “honey” and serve with biscuits.