- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ cup coconut oil, room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup almond milk (room temp)
- ½ cup molasses
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powered sugar
- 2 tbsp almond milk or eggnog
- In a medium sized bowl combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the coconut oil and the coconut or brown sugar. Beat for 1-2 minutes until the mixture is nice and light. Add the almond milk, maple syrup, molasses and vanilla, beat for another 30 seconds to mix thoroughly. If the coconut oil begins to solidify, simply pop in the microwave.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed sugar mixture, beating to combine.
- Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours
- Before rolling, let the dough sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Roll the dough directly onto parchment paper. The dough should be ¼” thick. Use cookie cutters to cut out the dough, use a flat spatula to gently remove the excess dough. Keep re-rolling and cutting out the dough until it’s all used up.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the cookies are lightly browned around the edges and barely firm in the center. They will firm as the cool.
- Allow them cool completely before decorating. Store them in an airtight container for a perfectly soft chewy molasses cookie texture. Alternatively, you can turn off the oven and keep them in there for an additional 10 minutes for lightly crisp, snappy gingerbread cookies.
- To ice the cookies simply combine 2 cups of powder sugar with 2 tbsp of almond milk or vegan eggnog!
With the dough rolled out to ¼”, this recipe makes about 12 large cookies (approx. 3″x4″) or 24 smaller cookies (approx 2″x2.5″). We made 15 cookies, 9 large and 6 small.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Cuisine: Dessert
- Serving Size: 1