- 4 1/4 cups all purpose flour (plus additional for rolling
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 envelopes of yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter, very soft
- Combine the 2 packets yeast, warm water and sugar in a medium size bowl. Allow the yeast to activate for 5-7 minutes.
- Combine 2 cups flour, brown sugar, and salt in a large bowl, stir until blended. Combine molasses and vegan butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH in 15 second increments until very warm but not hot to the touch (120° to 130°F. Butter won’t melt completely). Add the molasses mix and the yeast mix to the flour mixture and combine.
- Combine with your hands (or you can throw in a standing mixer with the hook) As you form the dough add additional flour to form into a ball.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic and dough springs back when lightly pressed with 2 fingers, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cover with a towel, turn off the oven and place the bowl in the oven. Allow to rise for 20 minutes or longer until doubled in size.
- For the filling, combine coconut or brown sugar and spices in a small bowl. Set aside. Roll dough into a 15 x 12-inch rectangle using a rolling pin.
- Spread 3 tablespoons vegan butter over dough stopping at least 1/2-inch from the edges on the long sides. Sprinkle with sugar mixture. Beginning at long end of each rectangle, roll up tightly. Pinch seams to seal. Cut into 6-12 equal pieces. Place, cut sides down, in greased 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Cover with towel; let rise back in the turned off oven until doubled in size, about 40 minutes.
- Bake in preheated 350ºF oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until rolls are golden brown. If the tops start to brown when baking, simply cover with aluminum foil and continue to bake. Cool on wire rack for at least 20 minutes.
- Combine all frosting ingredients in a large bowl and beat, adding just enough almond milk until frosting is creamy. Spread over rolls and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving Size: 1