- Combine flour, baking powder, and sugar, in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Combine almond milk, lemon juice, vanilla extract in a second bowl, whisk to combine.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and whisk well removing any clumps within the batter. Set aside for 10-15 minutes to set.
- Heat the oil in a large pot with the smallest circumference. The idea is that when you put the batter in the oil, it’s going to spread to the width of the pot. Edges will fall off regardless so you’ll be left with a small size, but it’s great to work with a pot that’s deep but less wide if you have one.
- Place the batter in a large ketchup or sauce type bottle, or the traditional funnel. (I preferred the bottle). Cut the tip so it’s as wide as you can get it. Squirt the batter in the hot oil going around in circles, but focusing on the middle as it will hold the funnel cake together. Don’t worry if it looks like it’s in pieces, they will form together as it cooks. Cool for 2-3 mins or until golden brown on each side. You’ll know when it’s ready from the color and that it holds together when you need to flip.
- Remove the funnel cake with a metal skimmer or metal spatula and place on paper towels to drain. Sift powdered sugar on top and serve.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving Size: 1