- 1/2 cup unsalted vegan butter
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 4 yellow onions, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves only
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts veggie broth
- 1 baguette, sliced
- 4 Slices of Follow Your soft cheese
- 2 tsp vegan worcestershire
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Melt the vegan butter and olive oil in a large pot or pan over medium heat. Butter should sizzle and brown a bit.
- Add the half moon sliced onions (cut in half, then cut in half again), cook until the onions have softened 10 minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper, and sugar, and cook (covered) until the onions are very soft and caramelized, about 35 minutes. Onions will brown and be very soft. Continue to stir periodically to ensure that they don’t burn.
- Add the flour and continue to stir the onions for 10 minutes.
- Add wine to deglaze the pot. Cook to reduce alcohol, 3- 5 minutes (you can also follow video and throw everything in together like in the video)
- Add the broth, thyme, bay leaves, vegan worcestershire and balsamic. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and reduce by about 1 cup. Remove the bay leaf.
- When you’re ready to serve, set the oven to broil, ladle the soup into bowls, top the soup with a baguette slice and vegan cheese and broil until bubbly and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
I’ve tried another variation that I feel packs more flavor: Add the thyme in the beginning and caramelize the onions. Then add the wine before the flour and cook for 10 minutes until the onions are dry, then do the flour and then the broth with bay leaves.
You can also use red wine instead of white if you prefer!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: French Onion
- Cuisine: Soup