- 2 tbsps vegan butter
- 1 medium size yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 1″ pieces (2 bundles)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 heaping cup soaked cashews, soak overnight or boil for 10 minutes
- 2 handfuls spinach
- Salt/Black Pepper as needed
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- In a heavy pot over medium heat, melt the vegan butter. Add the diced onion and cook for 5 minutes on low/med heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped asparagus, season with salt and pepper, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, and cook until asparagus is very tender but still green, 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a blender add the cashews, asparagus soup, nutritional yeast, and spinach, blend until smooth. You may have to do it in batches. You can add more spinach to achieve desired color. Return to the pot and warm over low heat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with more black pepper, dairy free sour cream or coconut milk (optional)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Serving Size: 2-4 servings