- 2 –12 oz bags frozen cauliflower rice
- 1 large onions, white or yellow
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar1
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsps fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- Salt/Pepper as needed
- In a pan over medium heat add the frozen cauliflower rice. Allow the cauliflower to break down and cook a little (5-7 minutes) Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Over medium-low heat, melt the vegan butter in a thick-bottomed stainless steel or cast iron pan. Add the sliced onions and cook for 10 minutes to soften. Add a pinch of salt and the sugar, then reduce the heat and continue to cook the onions for 30 minutes to one hour until they are deep amber in color and caramelized. Stir them often enough so that they don’t burn, but not so much that they won’t brown.
- Finish off with the balsamic vinegar, thyme, and garlic. Cook for an additional 3 minutes and set aside.
- Purée 75% of the caramelized onions (saving the remaining to go on top), cauliflower rice, vegan sour cream, and almond milk in a food processor until you have a smooth paste. Add additional almond milk a little at a time just to get things moving. Season with additional salt and pepper.
- To serve top with the remaining caramelized onions and garnish with thyme.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving Size: 4