- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 small fresh sage leaves
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons vegan butter
- 4 slices crusty whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 4 teaspoons pine nuts, toasted
Herb Cashew Cheese:
- 1 cup soaked cashew
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Sea Salt + ground black pepper as needed
- Herb Cashews Cheese: Soak cashews overnight or in boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain, and place in a food processor with the remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Crispy Sage: Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add sage and cook until crisp, 2 to 4 seconds per side. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sage to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Mushrooms: Add mushrooms and shallot to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. It will seem dry at first, but the salt will remove the moisture from the mushrooms and give you a good sear. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mushrooms to a bowl.
- Add vegan butter to the pan and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until the butter starts to brown, about 30 seconds. Add the pine nuts and cook until slightly golden. Pour the mixture over the mushrooms and stir to combine.
- Spread cashew cheese on each toast. Top with the mushrooms, pine nuts and the crispy sage.