- 3 large purple sweet potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 4 tbsps olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves, reserve 1 tablespoon total for garnishing all servings
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- pinch cloves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Garnish with thyme and coconut cream
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line baking sheets with foil or parchment paper. Spread out the peeled chopped potatoes and coat with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Bake the sweet potatoes for 45 minutes, or until the natural sugars start to caramelize and they are soft when poked with a knife in the center.
- In a medium skillet, warm the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, the cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Sauté for 5 minutes, or until the onion and is fragrant and translucent. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Transfer the onion mixture and baked sweet potatoes to a high-speed blender and add the coconut milk, broth, and salt and pepper to taste. Blend until the soup is thick and creamy. Depending on the size of your blender you may have to work in batches. If you find that it’s too thick (not all potatoes will have the same starch content), thin the soup with more broth. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve the soup in bowls, topped with coconut milk, fresh thyme, and an optional drizzle of olive oil. Serve hot/warm. Store in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Serving Size: 1