- 11 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 bunch basil or 3 tbsp pesto
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/3 cup white cooking wine
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt + Pepper as needed
- Coconut Milk
- Garlic croutons
- Garlic Croutons: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Chop bread into small pieces. Coat with olive oil and minced garlic. Bake for 5 minutes until golden brown.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegan butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the white wine and cook for another 3 minutes until slightly reduced.
- Add the spinach, basil, broth, red pepper flakes and bring to a low simmer.
- Add the mixture to a blender or food processor with the soaked cashews. Blend until smooth. Add additional spinach to adjust the color.
- Add back to the pot and heat on low. Add additional broth to adjust the texture if desired.
- Season with salt, pepper and garnish with garlic croutons and a drizzle of coconut milk and olive oil (optional).
Soak cashews overnight or pop in the microwave
for 3 minutes, allow to stand for 10.
- Serving Size: 4