- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup vegan butter or coconut oil (cold)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tbs coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3–5 Tbsp ice water
- 1, 14 oz can pumpkin or 1 3/4 cup pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1, 14oz can full-fat coconut milk (shaken well, if refrigerated and solid, remove from can and microwave to combine)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2/3 cup cornstarch (if you use arrowroot, review the equivalents)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Crust: Combine the flour, salt, cinnamon, and coconut sugar in the bowl. Add your solid coconut oil or vegan butter and with your hand combine until mixture is crumbly and will stick together when you squeeze it.
- Add the water 1 tbsp at a time, or until the dough holds together well when you make a handful of it.
- It’s fine to have a lot of crumbs still–that’ll make a good, flaky crust–but it should be easy to shape into a large ball, too. If necessary, add a little more water until the texture is right.
- Turn dough onto a clean, dry surface that has been dusted with flour.
- Shape it into a flat ball, wrap with saran, place in a fridge for 20-40 mins or until you’re ready to roll it out.
- When you are ready to use the crust, remove the dough disk from the fridge, give it a few minutes to soften. Dust your surface with flour. Using a rolling pin to roll the dough into a large circle–enough that you can imagine easily covering your pie pan–using extra flour to keep things from sticking as you go.
- Lift it onto your pie crust (little tears are fine, and you can fix them later). Cut off the excess dough on the edge and press a fork on the edge to create ridges. Refrigerate crust till you have the filling made and are ready to bake it.
- Filling: Preheat your oven to 350F (180C). Add all the filling mixture to a large bowl and whisk or a food processor. Combine. Pour the pumpkin mixture into the uncooked 9″ pie crust . Use a spatula to spread the pumpkin evenly. Bake for 60 minutes.
- When you remove it from the oven, it may still be soft, but will firm in the fridge. Let cool, and then chill in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight until set.
- Category: Pumpkin Pie
- Cuisine: Dessert
- Serving Size: 1