- Boil the beets in water. Remove the skin, blend in a food processor or blender, adding a little water if needed.
- In a large mixing bowl sift the all purpose flour, baking powder and cocoa powder. Now add the salt and sugar, whisk everything together.
- In a separate bowl, add all the wet ingredients: oil, lemon juice, vanilla, and beets, whisk to combine. If the beets are not pureed enough you can strain the puree.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Line a cupcake tray with liners. With a spoon or ice cream scoop, fill the liners 3/4. Lightly tap the muffin tray to ensure there are no gaps.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bake these cupcakes for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then place on a cooling rack. One cooled, frost the cupcakes.
- Frosting: I used a ready made vegan frosting and added the matcha and extract. Whisk until smooth and then pipe onto the cupcakes.
- Serving Size: 1