- 3 ½ cups bread flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 ½ cups vegan Follow Your Heart shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 jalapeñoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, sliced into rings, divided
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 ¼ teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 dutch oven with lid
- silicone spatula, if you don’t have one, you can use your slightly moistened hand
- In a large bowl, combine the bread flour, 2 cups (200 g) of vegan cheddar cheese, the chopped jalapeños, and salt. Stir well.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the warm water and yeast.
- Pour the flour mixture on top of the water and use a silicone spatula to stir until the dough comes together. With the spatula, fold the dough around the edges of the bowl toward the center, rotating the bowl each time and folding a total of 8 times. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rest in a warm place for 60 minutes, or until almost doubled in size. Don’t let it rise for more than 60 mins unless yeast is activating slowly.
- Using the spatula, fold the dough toward the center again 8 more times.
- Cover with the towel and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Add the Dutch oven and lid to the oven, and preheat to 450F (230C) for 30 minutes.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface and your hands. Carefully peel the dough out of the bowl and onto the floured surface. Flip over and carefully brush away excess flour. If the dough still seems wet, add a lil more flour to your hands 1tbsp at a time.
- Fold the edges of the dough towards the center 8 times, then flip over the dough and transfer to a piece of parchment paper.
- Brush the top of the dough with the olive oil, so the cheese will stick. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup (50 g) of vegan cheese on top. I wouldn’t sprinkle more as I found that the vegan cheese burns easy. Use a sharp knife to score the bread with an “X”, which will allow steam to escape. Arrange the jalapeño rings on top of the cheese.
- Carefully remove the Dutch oven from the oven and use the parchment to lift the bread into the pot. Cover with the lid and bake for 40 minutes, then remove the lid and bake for 10 more minutes, until the bread is golden brown. If it’s browning too much, simply cover and finish bake time. If taken out too soon it may collapse.
- Carefully slide the bread out of the pot and onto a wire rack. Remove the parchment paper and let the bread cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
- Slice the bread and serve as desired.
*You can use pickled jalapeños if desired, would just dry off a lil to remove excess moisture. *Someone mentioned Daiya shredded cheese worked well too!
- Category: Hawaiian
- Cuisine: Pizza
- Serving Size: 8