- 1cup lukewarm water
- pinch of sugar
- 1 Tbsp active dry or instant yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- additional flour as needed
- 4 Tbs Follow Your Heart vegan egg powder
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 Tsp Pumpkin Spice
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Heat up the water (I just microwave it) to slightly over body temperature. When you stick your finger in, it should feel warm, but not hot or scalding.
- Mix the sugar and yeast into the water to dissolve. Let the yeast proof for about 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, oil, and mashed banana very well. Do not blend the banana because it will lose its stickiness. The banana is acting like a binding agent.
- Using your electric mixer with the dough hook, or just with a wooden spoon, combine the yeast mixture, banana mixture, and the flour 1 cup at a time. Knead for about 5 minutes. If you do not have a electric mixer, knead by hand for about 10 minutes. The dough should be tacky and smooth. Start with 3 cups of flour then add more as needed.
- Once the dough is smooth and when you poke it, it doesn’t stick to your finger, brush the dough with a bit of oil and cover the bowl with a damp cloth.
- Turn off the oven and let the dough rise inside until double in size. It will take about 40 minutes to an hour.
- When the dough is done rising, form your brioche. I simply rolled mine into about 5 balls of equal size and placed them in the loaf pan, which will create the ridges you see. (see image)
- Let the brioche rise for another 10-20 minutes in the oven. Remove and set oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes. The bread should be a golden brown and when you tap the top, it should sound hollow. Let cool completely and then slice into large pieces.
- In a large bowl combine all of the batter ingredients. Dip the slices into the batter and let soak for a few minutes. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add a little vegan butter. Cook the slices for 3-5 minutes on each side and serve with coconut whip, toasted pecans, and a pinch of cinnamon.
I wouldn’t use a stainless steel pan to cook the french toast as it wasn’t getting a sear on it, but more sticking to the pan
- Serving Size: 1