- 2 tbsp olive oil (to cook meatballs)
- 1 can of white beans (drained/rinsed)
- 1/2 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 cup slice mushrooms, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped (finely)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tbsps fresh oregano (or 1tsp dried oregano)
- Salt/Pepper as needed
- 2 tbsps ground flax mixed with 3 tbsps water
- 3/4 cup Panko
- 1 cup plain vegan sour cream or yogurt
- 1/2 cup english cucumber, sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tbsps fresh dill, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dry dill)
- 2 tsps garlic, minced
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 cup sliced English cucumber
- 1 cup arugula
- 3 whole wheat flatbreads
- Meatballs: Make the flax eggs, set aside. The mixture should be slightly thick.
- In a pan over medium heat add the diced onion and mushrooms with a lil olive oil and cook until translucent and mushrooms are slightly reduced in size. About 5 to 7 minutes. Now add the garlic, cook for 2 more minutes and set aside.
- Take all the prepped ingredients and combine in a large bowl with the remaining meatball ingredients mashing together. You want to have at least 75% mashed with some beans still there to hold everything together. Form Balls and set aside.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil to med/high heat and cook the balls making sure to cook the entire ball 5-7 mins. The more balls on the pan the longer it takes to cook.
- Make the Tzatzki sauce: In a small bowl combine everything together, set aside.
- Assemble the gyros: to a flatbread (I like to warm mine up so they are more pliable) add arugula, Tzatziki sauce, and 2 meatballs. Top with sliced red onion, diced tomato, sliced cucumber, and additional Tzatziki sauce.
Other ingredients you can add: olives, lettuce, and my homemade tofu feta. Recipe on EDS!
- Serving Size: 3-4