- 1lb yellow potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 2 large yellow onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp vegan butter, divided
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2/3 cup vegan sour cream
- 3 tsp fresh thyme
- Salt/Pepper as needed
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the peeled and halved potatoes along with 1 tsp salt. Boil util fork tender. (25 mins)
- Over medium-low heat, melt the vegan butter in a thick-bottomed stainless steel or cast iron pan. Add the finely chopped onions and cook for 10 minutes to soften. Add a pinch of salt and the sugar, then reduce the heat to low, add the garlic and continue to cook the onions for 30-45 mins until they are deep amber in color and caramelized. Stir them often enough so that they don’t burn, but not so much that they won’t brown.
- Drain the potatoes, add the vegan sour cream, almond milk, 1/2 cup vegan butter. Mash with a potatoes masher until you achieve the desired consistency. Fold in 3/4 of the caramelized onions saving the remaining to go on top. Garnish with thyme and serve warm. Season with additional salt and pepper.
- Category: Sides