Vegan Tomato Basil Soup with Cashew Cream
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
With the temperatures dropping, I’m all about the soup! Believe it or not, I once never craved soup. After years of never ordering it while dining out, I just lost my infatuation with soup altogether. They typically are made with chicken or beef brother, heavy creamed packed with additional salt etc. That being said, I just always avoided it.
However, once I started to make own soups, my entire perception shifted. Soups are just SO EASY to throw together and can be as nutrient dense as you like. When the flavors combine, the veggies are nearly undetectable. So if you have a picky eater, soups are the perf medium to increase your veggie intake.
While I never ate tomato soup as a child, there was a corporate food concept back in the 90’s that had the most amazing Tomato Basil Soup. It was of course packed with heavy cream and cheese, but I knew you could make a vegan version that could taste just as good, if not better!
and the vegan Tomato Basil Soup was born!
What I love about this soup is, everything. It’s a handful of accessible and affordable ingredients, nutrient dense, packs tons of flavor, packs carrots, has less sodium, easy, cheesy, creamy, perf for any season, and is hands down one of my favorite soups! (I’ve been making it for years!)
If you’re looking for that classic tomato soup that can pair perf with a sammie or one that can just be eaten by the buckets.. (true story) You’ll love my plant based approach to the classic Tomato Basil Soup!
Why this recipe rocks:
Can be made in bulk
Non vegan approved
Hands down. My number 1 fave soup!
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 5-6 bowls
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 4 carrots peeled, diced
- 1 1/2 Tbsps tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 2 28-oz. cans Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves only
- 3/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 Tbsps fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 2 Tbsps nutritional yeast
- Salt/Pepper as needed
- In a large pot heat oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion, carrot, cook 7-10 minutes until vegetables are slightly soft soft. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook until it begins to caramelize. (2 mins)
- Add crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, basil, red pepper, bay leaf, thyme and bring to a boil, then cover, and reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Allow the flavors to combine and the carrots to further soften by simmering for 25-30 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Add soaked cashews to the blender or food processor with almond milk and nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth.
- Add the simmering soup to the blender and blend until smooth. You may have to do it in portions depending on size of blender or food processor.
- Add back into the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot with fresh basil.
*You can use shredded carrots if you like *For the traditional version you can add 3tbs of flour after the tomato paste and cook for 3 minutes continuously stirring. This thickens the soup, but you can skip it if you want to omit white flour!