- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a greased 8″ square baking dish.
- Make 3 depressions in the dry ingredients – two small and one large. Pour the vinegar and vanilla in each of the two smaller depressions, and the vegetable oil in the large one. This step is imperative as your cake will be more dense and won’t rise.
- Pour water over the entire thing and mix until smooth.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until browned on the edges and when you push in it bounces back. The texture is so much better a lil under cooked as it will continue to bake even when removed from the oven. Let the cake cool, then top with icing!
Be sure to use a good quality vanilla extract!
- Serving Size: 4-8