- 2 medium-sized beets,
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 2/3 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 cup almond milk (can use stock)
- 1/2 pound cooked angel hair pasta
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- parsley leaves + toasted pine nuts for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, wrap the beets in aluminum foil with 1 Tbs. oil, and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Wrap the garlic in aluminum foil with a drizzle of olive oil. Roast for 40 minutes. Check for doneness at the 30-minute mark.While the veggies roast, cook the onion. If the garlic doesn’t seem roasted enough, leave in the oven while you prep the rest.
- Add diced onion and thyme to a small pan over medium heat with a lil olive oil. cook for 3-5 minutes until slightly browned.
- Transfer beets to a blender or food processor.
- Add the garlic, balsamic vinegar, almond milk, soaked cashews, cooked onions, and the 2 remaining Tbs. oil. Pulse until it’s as smooth.
- Transfer beet mixture to a small saucepan. Toss in the fresh pasta. 2 minutes.
- Serve pasta garnished with chopped parsley and toasted pine nuts.
You can use canned beets, however, the color will be more of a pale pink and the roasting provides a richer flavor versus canned.
- Category: Pasta
- Cuisine: Lunch/Dinner
- Serving Size: 4-6