- 1 1/2 Cups All-purpose flour
- 1 Cup Sugar (You can always modify)
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp White vinegar
- 5 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1 handful fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- Lime zest from 2 limes
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
Lime simple syrup:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 6–8 mint leaves
- 1 container ready made vegan icing
- Lime zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Mint leaves
- Sliced limes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, lime zest, and salt in a greased 8″ square baking dish.
- Make 3 depressions in the dry ingredients – two small and one large. Pour the vinegar and vanilla extract in the two smaller depressions, and the vegetable oil in the large one. This step is imperative as your cake will be more dense and won’t rise.
- Measure out 3/4 cup water and add to a blender with a handful of spinach. Blend until smooth. In the same measuring cup add the 1/4 cup lime juice. Now add the 3/4 cup spinach and water. Dispose of the excess if you have more than 1 cup.
- Pour the water/spinach mixture over the entire thing and mix until just combined. Try not to over mix.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until browned on the edges and when you push in it bounces back.
- Make the lime simple syrup: in a small pan over medium/high heat, add the water, sugar and mint leaves. Whisk until smooth and the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil. Once foaming after 4-5 minutes, remove from heat, add the lime juice and allow to sit for 10 minutes. *If you were to add white rum to this cake, you would add about 1/4 cup here with the lime juice. After 10 mins discard the leaves.
- Poke holes in the top of the cake. Brush the cake with the simple syrup, allowing it to go into the holes. You don’t have to use the entire portion of simple syrup.
- Icing: In the bowl of a standing mixer, add the ready made icing and lime juice. Blend until smooth. Add lime zest if desired. Ice the cooled cake and garnish with lime zest, mint, and limes.