- 1 and 1/2 cups warm water (between 100-110°F)
- 3/4 teaspoons instant or active dry yeast
- 4 cups bread flour (or 2 cups bread flour w/2 cups white flour) plus more for work surface
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil, to coat bowl
- 1/3 cup chopped rosemary
- 1/2 cup Follow Your Heart Vegan Parm
- 2 quarts water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or (honey)
- Make the dough: Whisk the warm water and yeast together in the bowl. Cover and allow to sit for 5 minutes to activate.
- Now add the flour, sugar, and salt and combine with your hands. The dough is very stiff and will look somewhat dry, but won’t be once you knead it.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. With lightly floured hands, knead the dough for 4-5 minutes. I don’t recommend a mixer as the dough is too heavy.
- Lightly grease a large bowl with olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl, turning it to coat all sides in the oil. Cover the bowl with aluminum foil, plastic wrap, or a clean kitchen towel. Allow the dough to rise at room temperature for 60-90 minutes or until double in size. If the dough doesn’t double, give it more time to rise. If You’d like to make the bagels the following day, simply place in the fridge. (I prefer same day)
- Shape the bagels: Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. When the dough is ready, punch it down to release any air bubbles. Fold in the roughly chopped rosemary. Note: You can always add more than 1/3 cup! If the dough seems too wet/sticky, add a lil flour 1/2 tbsp at a time on your hands. Divide the dough into 4-8 equal pieces, doesn’t have to be exact.
- Shape each piece into a ball. Press a finger through the center of each ball to make a hole about 1.5 – 2 inches in diameter. Loosely cover the shaped bagels with kitchen towel and rest while you prepare the water bath. (15 mins) Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Water bath: Fill a large, wide pot with 2 quarts of water. Whisk in the maple syrup. Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-high. If the bagels don’t puff up a lil before boiling, give them some more time. Drop bagels in, 1 or 2 at a time, making sure they have enough room to float around. Cook the bagels for 1 minute on each side. Place bagels onto lined baking sheet.
- Top with the vegan parmesan and bake for 20-25 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. Remove from the oven and allow bagels to cool on the baking sheets for 15-20 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice, toast, and top with whatever you like! Keep bagels in a sealed container at room temperature to maintain freshness. * To freeze them for later use, do so immediately after baking.
If the parmesan cheese becomes soft after storing, simply place in the oven on broil for a few minutes to make crispy again
- Serving Size: 1