- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cane sugar (additional for topping)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup almond milk (room temp)
- 1 teaspoons vanilla or orange extract
- zest from 1 orange
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. For big-topped muffins, line 8 standard-size muffin cups with paper liners. For standard-size muffins line 10 muffin cups. (optional) Fill the remaining cups with 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to help the muffins bake evenly.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Add oil, mashed banana, room temp almond milk and vanilla or orange extract, orange zest to a bowl and whisk until smooth. If the mixture is too cold and coconut oil begins to solidify, simply pop in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Add wet to dry ingredient lightly combine. Do not over mix. (The muffin batter will be quite thick) Fold in the cranberries, and fill into the muffin cups. Save a few for topping and dust with coarse sugar (all optional)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted in the middle and comes out clean. If the tops are browning too much, simply turn down the heat to 375 for the remaining bake. Allow to cool in the muffin tins and top with icing and orange zest Optional)
You can sub orange juice instead of almond milk to enhance the orange flavor, however the texture will be completely different!
- Serving Size: 1