- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced (or any other variety)
- 1 head red cabbage (2 1/4 pounds), halved, cored, and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 larger granny smith apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- In a large skillet that has a cover, add the oil over medium-high heat. Add apples and onions and saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add shredded cabbage and continue to saute for about 5 more minutes, stirring often.
- Add the coconut sugar, wine, balsamic, apple cider vinegar, & water. Reduce heat to low (very low, like a 1-2 on the dial) and cover.
- Continue to cook, stirring every 10-15 minutes or so, until softened. Resist the urge to turn up the heat to shorten the cooking time. The mixture will burn to the bottom of the pot easily if you do so.
- Start checking for doneness around 45 minutes but it may take up to an hour. Top with toasted pecans and serve.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: braised red cabbage
- Cuisine: side dish