- 1 1/2 Cups All-purpose flour
- 3/4 Cup Sugar (You can always modify)
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp White vinegar
- 5 tbsp oil
- 1 Cup almond milk or water
- 1 1/2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 1 tub ready made icing
- 23 drops red food coloring, divided
- 3 tsp strawberry extract, divided
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries (garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a greased 8″ square baking dish.
- Make 3 depressions in the dry ingredients – two small and one large. Pour the vinegar in one depression and the vanilla and 2 tsp strawberry extract into the other small depression, with the vegetable oil in the larger one. This step is imperative as your cake will be more dense and won’t rise.
- Add 17 drops of red food dye to the almond milk or water and pour over the entire thing, mixing until smooth.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until slightly browned on the edges and when you push in it bounces back. The texture is so much better a lil under cooked as it will continue to bake even when removed from the oven.
- Icing: add the ready made icing to a standing mixer. Add the 6 drops of dye and strawberry extract. Whip for 1-2 minute until smooth. Ice the cooled cake. Garnish with sliced strawberries.
Looking to add strawberries to the recipe? Fold them in the batter or icing or make a strawberry puree for the batter or icing.