Vegan Bourbon Pineapple Parfaits
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
When it comes to summer desserts, I’m all about the parfaits. Whether it be that they are typically fruit forward, fun to make or just aesthetically gorgeous, they are one of my favorite concepts. Parfaits can feature everything from granola to pudding or my personal favorite, cake and coconut whip!
Since there are so many flavors the blend with fruit, I love to explore variations! Pineapple is one of those summer fruits I crave and they are amazing grilled with a lil bit of cinnamon. That being said, I knew a cinnamon pineapple flavor would be fun to try and then my mind instantly went to infusing them with bourbon. While I never drink bourbon, it truly makes for a memorable flavor when combined with fruit. Typically you’ll find peaches with a bourbon spin, however, pineapple also pairs seamlessly with bourbon!
I love this recipe for a myriad of reasons! It’s quick, easy, affordable, packs tons of fruit, has a rich pineapple flavor, the cake requires no dairy or eggs, you can use canned pineapple, it’s perfect for summer, has notes of bourbon, you can grill the pineapple for more flavor, it’s great for entreating, and has flawless aesthetic appeal!
If you love effortless vegan desserts or all things with a hint of bourbon, you have to try these new vegan Bourbon Pineapple Parfaits!!
Why this recipe is great:
You can use canned pineapple
Has notes of bourbon
Perfect for entertaining
Eat Drink Shrink
15 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 can pineapple rings in juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 1 1/2 tsp corn starch
- Garnish, 1/3 cup toasted coconut
- 1 container of ready made coconut whip
- 1 1/2 Cups All-purpose flour
- 1 Cup Sugar (You can always modify)
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp White vinegar
- 5 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 1/2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a greased 8" square baking dish.
- Make 3 depressions in the dry ingredients - two small and one large. Pour the vinegar and vanilla in each of the two smaller depressions, and the vegetable oil in the large one. This step is imperative as your cake will be more dense and won't rise.
- Pour water over the entire thing and mix until smooth.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until browned on the edges and when you push in it bounces back. The texture is so much better a lil under cooked as it will continue to bake even when removed from the oven. Allow to fully cool. Cut into cubes.
- Bourbon Pineapple: In a pan over medium heat add the vegan butter, cinnamon and brown sugar. Cook until melted and combined. Now add the pineapple rings. Cook for 2-3 minutes without flipping them. This will give you a good sear. I saved a few to put on top of the parfaits for added appeal.
- Now add the juice and the bourbon, reserving 2 tbsp to combine with the corn starch. Combine the juice and starch in a small shallow dish removing any clumps. Cook the liquid down a lil bit to reduce the alcohol. About 3-5 minutes. Now add in the corn starch mixture and continue to stir. The sauce will thicken. Remove from heat and allow to fully cool.
- To assemble the parfaits I did the cooled pineapple mixture, then store bought coconut whip, then cake and repeated. You can top with toasted coconut. Chill until ready to serve.