1hr Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Icing
Hello & Happy Friday!!
While I stick to my everyday avocado toast, I love a good muffin or cinnamon roll for a weekend brunch! Although Thanksgiving is officially over, pumpkin season is still going, and I knew I had to revisit these vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls. I created this concept over a year ago, but I honestly wasn’t greatly impressed with the final result.
With vegan cinnamon rolls, I find results always vary. In creating the dough vegan eggs don’t pair really well and the list goes on with what can go wrong in working with yeast. The yeast can be too old, you add to much sugar or salt, or even use a plastic spatula, which can kill the yeast. Needless to say, working with yeast can be exhausting at times lol.
However, I figured out the trick to achieving the perfect texture and cutting your time in half, use 2 packets of yeast! The extra yeast creates a fluffier result and it rises so much faster. Thinking about it now, I’m not sure why you would ever just want to use 1 as there is a stark difference in the final result.
What I love about this recipe is, everything! It’s minimal ingredients, takes minimal time, your go to cinnamon roll recipe, which you can switch up components to cater to the season or your tastebuds, light, fluffy, have a gorgeous orange hue, perf for fall, can easily be made in bulk, and is hands down my favorite cinnamon roll!
If you’re love all things pumpkin or just crave the perfect cinnamon roll, you’ve met your match with these vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with cream cheese icing!
Why this recipe is great:
Non vegan approved
Cream cheese icing
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 6 large or 12 small
45 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 4 1/4 cups all purpose flour (plus additional for rolling_
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 envelopes of yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, very soft
- 4 ounces vegan Follow Your Heart cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons almond milk, as needed
- Combine the 2 packets yeast and warm water and a pinch (1-2 tsps) of sugar in a medium size bowl. Allow the yeast to activate for 5-7 minutes.
- Combine 2 cups flour, 1/3 cup sugar, and salt in a large bowl, stir until blended. Combine pumpkin and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH in 15 second increments until very warm but not hot to the touch (120° to 130°F. Butter won’t melt completely). Add the pumpkin mix and the yeast mix to the flour mixture and combine.
- Combine with your hands (or you can throw in a standing mixer with the hook) As you form the dough add additional flour to form into a ball.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic and dough springs back when lightly pressed with 2 fingers, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cover with a towel, turn off the oven and place the bowl in the oven. Allow to rise for 20 minutes.
- For the filling, combine coconut or brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside. Roll dough into a 15 x 12-inch rectangle using a rolling pin.
- Spread 3 tablespoons butter over dough stopping at least 1/2-inch from the edges on the long sides. Sprinkle with sugar mixture. Beginning at long end of each rectangle, roll up tightly. Pinch seams to seal. Cut into 6-12 equal pieces. Place, cut sides down, in greased 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Bake in preheated 350ºF oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until rolls are golden brown. If the tops start to brown when baking, simply cover with aluminum foil and continue to bake. Cool on wire rack for at least 20 minutes.
- Combine all frosting ingredients in a large bowl and beat, adding just enough almond milk until frosting is creamy. Spread over rolls and sprinkle with chopped pecans if desired and serve.