Vegan Margarita Cupcakes
Hello & Happy Friday!!
Believe it or not, I didn’t even realize that it’s Memorial Day Weekend until just the other day. With so much going on with social distancing, I feb as though we’re all forgetting things from our normal routine. Something I did remember though, was this fab recipe for vegan Margarita Cupcakes!
Back in 2014 in our tiny NYC apartment, this was one of the first recipes I produced. Now that i think about it, it was probably the first cupcake I ever did period lol. Fast forward to today, and I wanted to whip up something indulgent for the holiday weekend. I just knew this wass the perfect opportunity to take a trip down memory lane and recreate this recipe. The only thing that is the same with this recipe, is the aesthetics, and it came out so good!
I don’t do a lot of alcohol in my routine and stick to red wine or kombucha, but there is something I love about adding a touch of white wine or liquor to various recipes.
What’s great about this recipe, is just everything! It’s quick, easy, requires no vegan eggs, is packed with a rich lime flavor, buttery soft, has notes of tequila, you can skip the tequila altogether if desired, it packs 1/4 cup less sugar than most typical cupcake recipes, it has aesthetic appeal, is perfect for the summer, perfect for entertaining, and even a gorgeous green hue that’s naturally derived!!
If you love fun modern vegan cupcakes, you have to try these vegan Margarita Cupcakes!!
Why this recipe is great:
Packed with lime
Has notes of tequila
Uses natural food coloring
Eat Drink Shrink
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 and 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Lime, juice
- Add Almond Milk up to the 1 cup line
- Zest from 2 Limes
- 2 tbsp tequila
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- 1/4 cup (56g) Vegan Butter
- 2 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 tbsp tequila (can always add more)
- 1 tsp matcha
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Squeeze the lime juice into a measuring cup along with the tequila, and then add almond milk up to the 1 cup line.
- Now add in the zest from 2 limes, olive oil, white vinegar and vanilla extract and whisk to remove lumps and combine.
- Now add to the dry ingredients and combine.
- Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners and divide the batter evenly between them. (3/4 full)
- Place into the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare your frosting by adding the powdered sugar, vegan butter, lime juice, tequila, and matcha powder to the bowl of an electric mixer and then starting at slow speed, gradually increase speed until it’s thick and smooth. If your frosting is too thin add more powdered sugar, if too thick add lime juice a drop at a a time until the right consistency is reached. You want it to be very thick so it pipes well, but not so thick that it won’t come out your piping bag.
- When the cupcakes are completely cooled, pipe on the frosting and top with sliced limes and straws.
You can also purchase ready made vegan icing and simply add the lime juice and tequila. Add in powdered sugar 1-2 tsp at a time if the mixture is too wet.