Vegan Caramel Apple Cobbler
Hello & Happy Wednesday!
If there is one dessert that everyone loves down south, …it’s apple cobbler. I personally like the concept of cobbler as there are tons of variations and I love to see everyone’s take on it. One of the best flavor combinations is your staple apple flavor, but I wanted to put a modern spin on it..
and the vegan Caramel Apple Cobbler was born!!
I initially explored this recipe while still in my first year of graduate school. It was Christmas break and I was in upstate NY with my now inlaws. You can count on snow just about every day there so I loved to spend my days in the kitchen whipping up recipes. While this recipe came out so good, I didn’t have my usually photography set up and let’s just say, the images didn’t capture the true beauty of this dish! lol
Fast forward to today, we’re cleaning out EDS of everything from old images to older content to make room for the new in 2020, and I just knew I couldn’t toss this recipe!
What’s fab about this dish, is everything! It’s quick, easy, affordable, you can use white whole wheat flour, you can use coconut sugar if preferred, I cut down the overall added sugar as the apples have natural sugar, it’s texture is soft, it’s not the overly dried variety, great for any season, perfect for entertaining, can easily be made in bulk, and the caramel with coconut milk just puts it over the top!
If you’re all about apples or just fabulous vegan desserts, you’re going to love this new vegan Caramel Apple Cobbler!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Takes minimal time
Can be made in bulk
Perf for any season
Can be made with any fruit
Eat Drink Shrink
Serves 6-8 servings
20 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 6 apples, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsps coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance vegan butter
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup earth balance vegan butter, melted
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 cup white whole wheat or all purpose flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and pull out a 9 by 13 baking dish. Combine your apple slices, 1 tsp cinnamon and coconut or brown sugar in a large pan over medium low heat. Cook the apples, stirring regularly until they are soft, about 10 minutes. (other options are to place in a crock pot and cook on low for a few hours)
- While the apples are cooking down, combine the caramel sauce ingredients, 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar, 1/2 cup vegan butter, 1/4 cup coconut cream in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Stir consistently until the mixture begins to boil. Continue stirring for another minute or so until it is smooth, remove from the heat. Sauce will thicken and be golden. (5 minutes)
- Cobbler: Pour melted vegan butter into the baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar, 1 cup flour, 2 tsps baking powder, and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Whisk in 1 cup almond milk and 1 tsps vanilla extract.
- Pour the mixture over the butter and whisk in gently.
- Add the cooked apples on top and stir to combine.
- Pour the caramel apple mixture over the batter (you can reserve some for topping) .
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Serve warm with vegan ice cream and the reserved caramel sauce.