Creamy Vegan Cajun Pasta
Hello & Happy Monday!!
I’ve been going thru my bucket list of recipes that I’ve always wanted to try. Believe it or not, I had never done a classic cajun pasta! Typically this dish is packed with heavy cream and paired with chicken or sausage. However, I knew I could replicate this dish sans animal products and truly pack on the flavor that you wouldn’t even need the heavy cream etc.
and just like that, the new Creamy Cajun Pasta was born!
There are endless reasons why I love this dish, but the biggest one is just its simplicity. It’s quick, easy, features minimal ingredients, is affordable, packs flavor, packs tomatoes, you can switch up the tomatoes and do red or green bell peppers, the sauce is superb and can be used with other dishes, is perfect for meal prep, it can easily be made in bulk, is perfect for any season, pairs well with a protein, and is just my newest obsession!
If you love all things pasta or just effortless dinner options, you’re going to love this new vegan Cajun Pasta!
Why this recipe is great:
Packed with flavor
Perfect for any season
Can easily be made in bulk
Eat Drink Shrink
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 4 cups penne pasta
- 1 cup cashews, soaked
- 3/4 almond milk
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1/4 tsp lemon pepper
- 1/4 dried basil
- 1 14.5oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- Salt/Pepper as needed
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Add the vegan butter to a pan over medium heat, add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes until lightly golden. Now add the garlic and cajun seasoning. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a high power blender add the soaked cashews, lemon pepper, basil, almond milk, cooked onions, salt and pepper as desired. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the sauce into the pot with the cooked, drained pasta. Combine. Fold in the canned tomatoes. Serve warm.
You can use lemon juice if you don't have lemon pepper