Vegan Zucchini Cheddar Bread
Hello and Happy Tuesday!
After nearly 300 recipes, this one for Zucchini Cheddar Bread still stuck out in my mind. That being said, I felt it was a good move to share a full recipe tutorial to showcase just how seamless it truly is!
From moving, traveling to the NYC, my bday is tomorrow, I’m completely beat lol. It’s hard to feel relaxed when things are not 100% organized, but that comes with the territory when you have endless amounts of kitchen supplies and you get all new furniture. At the end of the day, I love our new apartment as it’s brand new and as you would imagine, has a HUGE kitchen island!
Back to this bread though! When I cerated this over a year ago I had been exploring various bread concepts as nothing beats fresh bread! What can be a struggle with making a variety of breads featuring veggies is that it ups the moisture content making it harder for the bread to cook all the way through.
I’ve heard countless stories of failed zucchini breads, but you have to stick to the ratios and squeeze the zucchini dry. I even produced the recipe twice and added more cheese, and it was a fail perhaps due to the amount of oils in the cheese.
What I love about this recipe is that its light, easy, cheesy, packs zucchini, and has a hint of onion and garlic! I also enjoyed the presentation of this bread with the cheese and zucchini peels being seen throughout and how it pairs perfectly with hot soup or vegan chili!
If you’re looking to find more uses for zucchini in your recipes or simply have even a single zucchini going bad..
You have to try this recipe for vegan Zucchini Cheddar Bread!
Why this recipe rocks:
Can be made with vegan egg or flax egg!
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 8 slices
15 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tbs baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 cup grated zucchini (drained)
- 1 to 1/2 cups max grated vegan Follow Your Heart cheddar (I used the soft kind)
- 3/4 cup almond milk, w/ 1 tbs apple cider vinegar (room temp)
- 1/3 cup melted vegan Earth Balance butter
- 2 tbsp vegan Follow Your Heart eggs mixed with 1/4 cup almond milk (room temp)
- 2 tbs chives (or more)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, garlic, salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the vegan buttermilk (almond milk and apple cider vinegar) and vegan egg powder w/the 1/4 cup almond milk. Whisk the melted vegan butter into the buttermilk mixture.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mix, and gently combine. Don't over mix the batter. Stir in the vegan shredded cheese, shredded zucchini. Line a 9 x 5 baking tin with parchment paper and pour the batter in. Top with chopped chives and and lightly press into the batter. Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the bread comes out clean.
- Don't add too much zucchini, will have too much moisture and not cook all the way through. - 1 tbsp white table sugar optional - No vegan egg? Make a flax egg!