Vegan Gluten Free Sweet Potato Casserole
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
If there is one holiday dish I loved as a child and still love today, it’s Sweet Potato Casserole! I’ve always been enamored with the vibrant color, the fact that they have a natural sweetness, and they pack more fiber and less carbs than the white varieties.
Sweet Potato Casserole is your typical mashed sweet potatoes, but typically combined with egg, loads of sugar, and even marshmallows where it becomes almost a dessert. Given that it’s a staple, I knew I had to whip up a recipe that packs that same great flavor and texture, but take a lighter approach.. and the vegan Sweet Potato Casserole with a Pecan Crumble Top was born!
What’s fab about about this dish, is everything! It’s quick, easy, affordable, can easily be made in bulk, packs texture, tons a flavor, no refined sugar, toasted pecans, dairy free butter, and almond flour versus traditional flour!!
If you love holiday staples with a healthy twist, you’re going to love my refined sugar and white flour free Sweet Potato Casserole with a Pecan Crumble Topping!!
Why this recipe is great:
Refined sugar free
Eat Drink Shrink
15 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 9 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes, about 4 large potatoes
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 7 tablespoons earth balance vegan butter, softened to room temperature
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Add the sweet potatoes to a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain, then add them back to the pot or a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- To the large pot or bowl with the cooked sweet potatoes, add the coconut sugar, vanilla, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and mash with a potato masher. Continue to mash or stir with a spoon until well combined.
- Spread the potato mixture in the prepared dish, and smooth it out evenly with a spatula.
- Make the topping: In a medium bowl, stir all the topping ingredients, minus pecans, together with a spoon. Use your hands if necessary until moist crumbs form. Now mix in the pecans. (prevents them from breaking)Evenly sprinkle the topping on the sweet potato filling and bake for 35-45 minutes, until bubbly on the edges and the topping is golden brown. Serve immediately!