Vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Galette
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
The week has just started and it’s already been a hectic one lol. One thing that is never hectic? Making a homemade galette! Long before the dawn of galettes I always saw the typical pie that looked tedious and time consuming. Then just like magic, I discovered a galette and the days of pie making are somewhat obsolete, because these are just SO EASY!!
To me, a galette is like a rustic pie or tart that has the same components as a pie, but half the work and details and it can literally be made in minutes. (I made this one this morning)
In addition to galettes my other obsession is all things strawberry and rhubarb. I’m not sure if it’s because rhubarb is just intriguing to me or that I have southern roots, but I’m all about this combination. So when thinking of the next staple galette, I knew I had to do a Strawberry Rhubarb!
What’s great about this dessert, is really everything. It’s quick, it’s easy, it’s affordable, looks gorgeous, is packed with fruit, has minimal sugar, has no dairy or eggs, it’s perfect for any season, this flavor captures the essence of spring, it’s great for entertaining, you can use the crust base and mix up the fruit to make countless variations, and it’s just my go to!
If you love all things galettes or rhubarb, you have to try this new recipe for a vegan Strawberry Rhubarb Galette!!
Why this recipe is great:
Packed with fruit
No dairy or eggs
Perfect for spring!
Eat Drink Shrink
45 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 1/2 cup solid coconut oil or vegan butter
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup rhubarb, sliced
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Coarse sugar
- 2 tbs melted coconut oil or vegan butter
- To make the pie crust, in a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Add the coconut oil or vegan butter and combine the ingredients with hands. Add water (or almond milk) gradually (1tbsp at a time) to achieve a desired consistency.
- The mixture should be a little on the dry side. If the dough is too wet dust with flour. Too dry? Add more water.
- As the dough begins to stick together, form a flat disk, wrap and place in fridge for 45 mins or overnight.
- Add the fruit to a large bowl. Top with sugar, vanilla extract, and corn starch. Stir and combine, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out dough onto a flowered surface. Using a large bowl or free hand cut out a circle. Use the scraps and add them to the middle, roll out the circle again. It doesn’t need to be exact or even.
- Move the dough to the baking pan and begin to fold the edges of the galette.
- Once complete being to spoon the fruit mixture into the center and fold the dough up and over the filling even more.
- Brush the edges of dough with the melted coconut oil or butter and sprinkle with the coarse sugar.
- Place the galette on the prepared pan and bake until crust is golden and the filling is bubbling, about 25-30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through for an even bake..
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Top with vegan ice cream or coconut whip.