Vegan Spinach Pesto Soup
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
Since the world is a lil chaotic right now. There are so many unknowns for what is to come in the next few months, so I find comfort in be productive with my time and packing on plants. It can be so easy to reach for ready made options, but this is a great time to actually get in the kitchen and learn some new recipes you can apply to your normal routine once it returns.
One of my current obsessions right now is spinach! I typically would throw it in a salad or smoothie, but I’m enjoying it sautéed and working it in wherever I can. Why? Because it’s one of the more affordable greens, it holds up longer in the fridge, and it packs so many nutrients! I’m also in a big soup phase as it’s the perfect medium to pack on the veggies, salvage those on their way out and they are just so easy!
Believe it or not, there was little to no examples of a spinach soup online. That being said, it was the perfect opportunity to explore a spinach soup concept and the vegan Spinach Pesto Soup was born!!
What’s great about this soup, is everything! It’s quick, easy, affordable, packs tons of spinach, cashews making it high in protein and more filling, has minimal ingredients, you can omit the wine if desired, it packs tons of flavor, rich, creamy, perfect for any season, and is just my new obsession.
If you’re searching for fresh modern vegan concepts, you’re going to love this new vegan Spinach Pesto Soup!!
Why this recipe is great:
Per for any season!
Eat Drink Shrink
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 11 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 bunch basil or 3 tbsp pesto
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt + Pepper as needed
- Coconut Milk
- Garlic croutons
- Garlic Croutons: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Chop bread into small pieces. Coat with olive oil and minced garlic. Bake for 5 minutes until golden brown.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegan butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the white wine and cook for another 3 minutes until slightly reduced.
- Add the spinach, basil, broth, red pepper flakes and bring to a low simmer.
- Add the mixture to a blender or food processor with the soaked cashews. Blend until smooth. Add additional spinach to adjust the color.
- Add back to the pot and heat on low. Add additional broth to adjust the texture if desired.
- Season with salt, pepper and garnish with garlic croutons and a drizzle of coconut milk and olive oil (optional).
Soak cashews overnight or pop in the microwave for 3 minutes, allow to stand for 10.