Vegan Soft Baked Matcha Chocolate Chip Cookies
Hello & Happy Friday!!
If there is one flavor profile that is so me, it’s matcha! It’s mellow, pairs well with both white and dark chocolate, has a gorgeous color and the flavor is never overwhelming.
Needless to say, I love a good matcha chocolate chip cookie!!
There are many obstacles when working with matcha. You want to make sure you have a high quality culinary grade, be conservative with how much you use, and just like adding coco powder to a recipe, it can dry out the product if you don’t add enough moisture!
I tried many variations with this cookie as I wanted to find the perfect balance. I explored melted coconut oil versus butter, room temp butter versus melted, and believe it or not, each batch came out completely different! My personal preference, is a light colored green hue, a buttery soft texture, but a slightly crisp outer layer!!
So what happens with each variation?! See below!!
Coconut oil: higher fat content than butter, but has less water, will create a dryer texture
Baking soda versus baking powder: Soda will enable the cookies to spread more, powder you get more lift
Melted butter versus room temp: Melted will spread more
Cane or coconut sugar versus white: White will have a finer texture and create a less dry cookie
Matcha: More than 1 tbsp and it’s too dark of a hue, the longer you bake the darker the color you’ll achieve
What’s fab about these cookies, is everything! They are quick, easy, contain minimal ingredients, minimal steps, that gorgeous color, a mellow matcha flavor, tons of chocolate, no dairy or eggs, perf for any season, buttery soft, and a matcha lovers dream!
If you love all things matcha, it’s safe to say, you’ve me your MATCHA with this recipe for vegan Matcha Chocolate Chips Cookies!!
Why this recipe is great:
Perf for any season
No dairy or eggs
Eat Drink Shrink
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Matcha tea
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- ¾ cup vegan butter, melted, cooled
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tbs Follow Your Heart vegan egg mixed with 5 tbsp almond milk
- 2/3 cupLily's Sweets dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease baking sheets or line with parchment paper.
- Sift flour, matcha, baking soda and salt together in a bowl. Bea sugar and vegan butter together in a large bowl using an electric or standing mixer until blended; beat in vanilla extract, vegan egg mixture until light and creamy.
- Mix flour mixture into creamed butter until dough is just blended; fold in white chocolate.
- Drop cookie dough, 1-2 heaping tablespoon per cookie, onto the prepared baking sheet 2 to 3 inches apart.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet for 3 minutes then transfer to rack to cool completely.