Vegan Penne Alla Vodka
Hello & Happy Monday!!
Once upon a time I shared away from pasta. I felt that it held no nutritional value and I just didn’t see the purpose. Today, I take a different approach to the diet and food in general. Food is meant to be enjoyed, and pasta actually serves as the perfect medium to pack on the veggies. Like everything else, it’s also about portions!
One of my favorite pasta sauces is the staple vodka sauce. I’m not sure if it’s the vodka, the color, flavor, or C all of the above, but I’ve always been a fan of this dish!
While this dish is typically heavy on the cream, you can easily sub out the traditional cream for a cashew cream and it’s a win win. For those who are also fans of this dish and fear that a vegan version just won’t deliver, I was too! However, you can absolutely create a perf vegan variety that packs the same great flavor through and through.
This recipe is perfection for countless reasons! It’s quick, easy, affordable, packs protein with the cashews making the dish more filling, packs a gorgeous color, is comprised of minimal ingredients, perf for any season, perf for entertaining, and perf for anyone who’s a fan of this staple dish, but not all the calories that come along with it!!
If you’re searching for a healthier alternative to the classic Penne All Vodka, you’re going to love this vegan version!!
Why this recipe rock:
Same great flavor!!
No heavy cream
Perf for any season!
Packs protein with the cashews
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 3 cups of sauce
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 pound penne
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 whole medium onion, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup vodka
- 2 15 oz cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 1/2 cup almond milk (more as needed)
- 1 generous pinch red pepper flakes, plus more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Sauté the onions in 2 tablespoons butter and the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Pour in the vodka. Cook and reduce for 2 to 3 minutes, then pour in the tomatoes. Stir the mixture until it's thoroughly combined.
- Add the soaked cashews, almond milk and nutritional yeast to a high powered blender. Blend until smooth. Add additional almond milk as needed to get things moving.
- Now add in the tomatoes/onion/garlic combo and blend until smooth.
- Pour the sauce back into the pan with the cooked pasta and cook low/med heat until warmed through.
- Sprinkle in the red pepper flakes and add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with basil if desired.
Soak cashews overnight or simply throw in the microwave with water and heat for 4-5 minutes adding more water as you go until soft.