Vegan Lobster Bisque
Hello & Happy Friday!!
Today is an amazing day, because we’re just a lil over a week into the new year and I’ve already crushed so many bucket list recipes I’ve been meaning to get to. One of them, was this staple vegan Lobster Bisque!
While many things can be replicated to be vegan, there are some things that are just a struggle. Seafood is one them! You can make a Chickpea Tuna Salad, Seared Mushroom Scallops, a vegan crab cake (one of my other faves) and one of my all time faves, a Lobster Roll! Believe it or not, there wasn’t a vegan lobster roll on the internet when it was created. Now you can find this staple recipe on Buzzfeed!
For a long time I thought to myself, you can’t create a vegan Lobster Bisque. It will require random ingredients, and or the texture and flavor will be compromised. However, low and behold that can’t be further from the truth.
The biggest challenge is deriving a seafood like flavor for the dish. I thought to myself, perhaps you could incorporate chickpeas somehow as the brine is somewhat seafood like, but then it hit me like a ton of bricks. Not only is it accessible and affordable, but seaweed has a seafood like flavor! Ran ther than throwing it in the soup, I thought you could easily infuse the broth and remove it, and boom..
the vegan Lobster Bisque was born and my life is complete!
To replicate a lobster like texture, I love to use hearts of palm like I do in the Lobster Roll recipe I have. It of course pairs perfectly with this soup and just puts it over the top!
What’s fab about this recipe, is everything! It’s quick, easy, affordable, perf for any season, can easily be made in bulk, great for entertaining, perf as a meal or side dish, features staple ingredients, you can add more seaweed to amplify the seafood like flavor, you can modify the consistency, it’s rich, creamy, packed with protein from the cashews, packed with flavor, and can even turn a non vegan head over heels for this dish! promise!
If you’ve been longing for this dish or simply love innovative vegan concepts, brace yourself, you’re going to love this vegan Lobster Bisque!!
Why this recipe is great:
Features staple ingredients
Packed with plant protein
Packed with flavor
Great for any season!
Eat Drink Shrink
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 sheet seaweed, (sushi roll size)
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 4 large shallots, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 4 large celery ribs, diced
- 1 cup cashews, raw
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tsp Old Bay
- Pinch of cayenne (optional)
- 2 tsp vegan Worcestershire (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped (garnish)
- 2 cans Heart of Palm
- In a large pot over medium heat add the broth and seaweed.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, 10 mins. Remove the seaweed.
- In another pot over medium heat add the vegan butter, shallots, carrots, garlic, celery, old bay, Worcestershire, smoked paprika, thyme, cayenne, salt/pepper, and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, cook for an additional 4, continually stirring.
- Add the wine to deglaze the pot, bring to simmer, then reduce to low heat, cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Now add the seaweed infused broth, almond milk, and cashews.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and throw in a blender. Blend until smooth. Garnish heart of palm, chopped chives and Old Bay.