Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Hello & Happy Friday!!
This week I whipped up some fab dishes! Something I also do for Eat Drink Shrink is create an effortless concept for the weekend. While some of us prefer to dine out on the weekends, a lot of us take it as an opportunity to get in the kitchen, which I love!
When it comes to full proof brunch concepts, I love a good muffin. I skipped doing muffins for years as I never came across the right balance with texture. Vegan recipes were too dry or didn’t cook all the way thru and just underwhelming altogether. Until I came across the perf recipe!
To date I’ve done vegan Lemon Blackberry, Matcha Chocolate Chip, Cinnamon Pear, Triple Berry, Lemon Blueberry, Double Dark Chocolate Chip, Eggnog, Gingerbread, Peanut Butter & Chocolate, Dark Chocolate Strawberry, Orange Cranberry, Peach Oatmeal, Strawberry Basil, Raspberry Almond, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip, Cinnamon Apple, Blueberry Almond, Green Machine , Lemon Rosemary, & Dark Chocolate & Raspberry muffins!
What’s fab about these muffins, is everything! It’s my staple recipe, features a handful of staple ingredients, no dairy, no eggs, minimal added sugar, tons of poppy seeds, buttery soft, perf for brunch, perf for any season, and just an iconic combo you don’t want to miss!
If you’re searching for the perf muffin recipe or just crave all things lemon, you’re going to love this recipe for vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins!!
Why this recipe rocks:
Perf for brunch
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 6-10 depending on size
5 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 large banana, mashed, 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup almond milk (room temp)
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F., line 8 standard-size muffin cups with paper liners. For standard-size muffins line 10 muffin cups. (optional) Fill the remaining cups with 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to help the muffins bake evenly.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Add melted coconut oil, mashed banana, room temp almond milk, vanilla extract, lemon extract (optional), lemon zest, poppy seeds, and lemon juice to a bowl and whisk until smooth. If the mixture is too cold and coconut oil begins to solidify, simply pop in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Add wet to dry ingredient lightly combine. Do not over mix. (The muffin batter will be quite thick) Fill batter into the muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted in the middle and comes out clean. If the tops begin to dry out simply make a tent with aluminum foil to prevent them from further drying out.
- For the icing combine the lemon juice and powdered sugar. Add more lemon juice or powdered sugar if needed to achieve the desired consistency. Top with a little lemon zest while still wet.