Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Cucumber Salad
Hello & Happy Wednesday!!
With the warmer temperatures arriving, we’re focusing on lighter and brighter recipes on EDS! Since social distancing, many of us have been finding comfort in food. That being said, lighter foods are even more of a must to break up our routine and pack on the veggies.
Even as a plant based individual I still have to have fun with recipes. Yes, I love simply roasted or grilled veggies, but I to make an impactful dish that’s veggie and flavor packed is even more of a win! To impart lots of flavor I like to do an effortless dressing and feature pickled veggies. Both are quick and easy and you can use them in countless dishes.
I personally love cucumbers in anything. They are filling, packed with water and can fit seamlessly into a myriad of dishes. They also enable you to feel full, but not weighed down, which is perfect for the summer months! So with whipping up new summer concepts my mind instantly went to cucumbers!
This dish is one of my go to’s for endless reasons! It’s quick, easy, affordable, filling, the dressing goes well with a variety of dishes, it can easily be made in bulk, it’s perfect for entertaining, the salad can be also used as a sandwich topper, the dressing is citrusy with a hint of sweet, features effortless pickled red onions which are also good on countless dishes and it just blends well together!
If you’re searching for the perfect summer salad or even dressing, you have to try this new vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Cucumber Salad with pickled red onion!
Why this recipe is great:
Light + refreshing
Eat Drink Shrink
10 minPrep Time
10 minTotal Time
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (1-2 lemons)
- 2 tbsp dairy free sour cream or yogurt
- 1 tbsp poppy-seeds
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- Salt/Pepper as needed
- 2 tbsp minced shallots
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp agave or maple syrup
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced whole, to create rings
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pickled Red Onion: Slice the onion into thin rings. Place in a jar. In a pan over med/high heat add the vinegar, salt, sugar, and water.
- Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and pour into the jar with the onions. Allow to come to room temperature and place in the fridge. Ready in 30 minutes. Best enjoyed within a week!
- Cucumber Salad: In a large bowl add the thinly sliced cucumber and pickled red onion.
- In a small jar add all of the ingredients minus the pickled red onion and cucumbers. Place a top on the jar and shake or simply whisk together in a bowl combine all of the flavors.
- Pour over the thinly sliced cucumbers and pickled red onion. The longer you let the salad sit, the more the flavors are absorbed into the cucumbers. There is enough dressing for 2 cucumber salads or more!
There is enough dressing for 2 or more salads!