Vegan Lemon Blueberry Galette
Hello & Happy Monday!!
Typically I don’t feature desserts on Monday, but if there is any time of the week that I have fruit going bad, it’s early in the week. I order groceries either Sunday or Monday and there always happens to be fruit lingering behind that’s on it’s way out. No matter what I do, there is always something on the verge of being tosses so if there is every fresh fruit, it’s going into a homemade granola, crisp, cobbler, or galette!!
If you’re not familiar with a galette, simply put, it’s like a rustic pie or tart with half the work. When I tell you this concept is easy, trust me, you’ll be craving a galette every day of the week and questioning why you ever suffered through making a fancy pie lol.
While I love a good pie, there is something about a galette that I’m just captivated by. I love the effortlessness, that you can see all the fruit, that it’s a no frills concept and the list goes on.
What’s great about this particular galette is that it takes that same easy approach, features no dairy or eggs, simply 2 cups of fruit, has minimal added sugar, you can reduce the added sugar if desired or throw in maple syrup instead, you can use frozen berries, the lemon pairs perfectly with blueberries and is ideal for spring weather, the crust holds up, you can easily make the crusts and freeze for later use, you can mix up the fruit and even use canned fruit, it has aesthetic appeal, and is my new obsession!
If you love all things lemon or effortless vegan concepts, you have to try this new vegan Lemon Blueberry Galette!!
Why this recipe is great:
Minimal added sugar
No dairy or eggs
You can use frozen fruit
Perfect for spring
Gorgeous aesthetic appeal
Only 2 cups of fruit needed
Eat Drink Shrink
48 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
1 hr, 18 Total Time
- 1/2 cup solid coconut oil or vegan butter
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Coarse sugar
- Lemon zest
- 2 tbs melted coconut oil or vegan butter
- To make the pie crust, in a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Add the coconut oil or vegan butter and combine the ingredients with hands.Add water (or almond milk) gradually (1tbsp at a time) to achieve a desired consistency.
- The mixture should be a little on the dry side.
- As the dough begins to stick together, form a flat disk, wrap and place in fridge for 45 mins or overnight.
- If the dough is too wet dust with flour. Too dry? Add more water.
- Add the fruit to a large bowl.Top with sugar, vanilla extract, lemon zest, lemon juice and corn starch.
- Roll out dough onto a flowered surface. Using a large bowl or free hand cut out a circle.Use the scraps and add them to the middle, roll out the circle again. It doesn’t need to be exact or even.
- Move the dough to the baking pan and begin to fold the edges of the galette.
- Once complete being to spoon the fruit mixture into the center and fold the dough up and over the filling even more.
- Brush the edges of dough with the melted coconut oil or butter and sprinkle with the coarse sugar.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place the galette on the prepared pan and bake until crust is golden and the filling is bubbling, about 25-30 minutes, rotating the sheet pans halfway through.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Top with vegan ice cream or coconut whip and garnish with lemon zest.