Vegan Lasagna Soup
Hello & Happy Thursday!
Since we’re all craving comfort foods, I thought I would revisit one of my favorites and tweak it to feature more veggies. Since many are working with limited food options, soups are the way to go for endless reasons. You can make them in bulk, pack on the veggies, get 4 portions versus a single portion just eating it directly and the list goes on.
When it comes to nostalgic comfort foods, we all gravitate towards lasagna! However, typical versions are packed with cheese, they aren’t as good days later, making them not the best option. Soups on the other hand are more effortless, more nutrient dense, and tastes just as good if not better days later when the flavors marry even more.
That being said this new and improved vegan Lasagna Soup is going to be your new BFF, bc it will far exceed your expectations amidst all the chaos taking place.
What’s fab about this soup, is everything! It’s quick, easy, affordable, features staple ingredients, packs tomatoes, carrots and a rich cashew cream sauce, had a hint of spice, mirrors the flavors of a traditional lasagna, the cashews add body and protein making it more filling, it can easily be made in bulk, and is one of my all time favorite soups!
If you love fresh modern vegan recipes or love all things soup, you’re going to be head over heels for this vegan Lasagna Soup!!
Why this recipe is great:
Mirrors the flavor of lasagna
Made without cheese
Can easily be made in bulk
Eat Drink Shrink
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles, broken in half pieces (about 10 noodles)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 carrots, peeled, don't chop, boiled (optional)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- Salt/Pepper as needed
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the noodles, 2tsp salt, and cook as the label directs. Drain; drizzle with olive oil, toss and coat.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped yellow onion. Cook until onion is translucent and softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and oregano and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until garlic is golden.
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until darkened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, crushed tomatoes, peeled carrot; cover and bring to a simmer.
- Uncover and cook until slightly reduced, about 10 minutes.
- Add the soaked cashews, almond milk, boiled carrot from the pot (optional) to a high power blender.
- Blend until smooth. Add additional almond milk if needed. Add back into the pot with the tomato sauce.
- Stir in the cooked noodles, fresh basil, and simmer 2 more minutes.
- Season with salt/pepper and garnish with veggie parm, sliced basil, and red pepper flakes.
If you don't have time to soak cashews overnight, simply pop in the microwave or let soak in boiling water until softened.