Vegan Jalapeno Hush Puppies
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
If there is one food concept that takes my back to my childhood in Georgia, it’s hush puppies!
We never fried anything in our home, surprisingly, but there was a restaurant chain that always had them. Outside of that, hush puppies are a rarity today and I can’t even recall the last time I saw them on a menu.
That being said, I randomly got a craving for one, but of course had to put a spicy twist on things to cater to my tastebuds!
For some of you, you may be wondering, what the heck is a hush puppy? lol
It’s basically a fried corn dog, with no dog, and whatever you else would like to pack in there! Sounds underwhelming, but it’s so good!
Do I typically fry things? No, it’s a rarity, but I truly believe that we need to embrace balance in all areas of life, and that includes food. If I ever have a craving for something, I indulge!
What I love about this recipe is that it’s nostalgic (for me), easy, requires minimal ingredients, fun to make, packs heat, great for entertaining on game day, and is non vegan approved!
If you’re looking for classic indulgent vegan eats and love anything with heat, then you have to try this recipe for vegan Jalapeño Hush Puppies!
Why this recipe rocks:
Fried, but give yourself a break!
Fun to make
Great for entertaining
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 20 hush puppies
20 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tbsp Follow Your Heart vegan egg powder combine with 2/3 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup diced shallots
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- chopped jalapeno peppers or mild chiles, as desired
- 1/2 cup vegan Follow Your Heart Mayo
- 2 tbs adobo sauce
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients. In a smaller bowl, mix the wet ingredients and jalapeños and shallots. Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture all at once. Stir until just blended.
- Heat a large pot of oil to 375 degrees F. Drop the hushpuppy mix by the spoonful or using an ice cream scooper into the hot oil. Try and keep the balls on the smaller side to ensure they cook all the way through. Cook for about 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Check the first few for doughy-ness. Repeat with the rest.
- Scoop the hush puppies out of the oil and place on paper towels. Salt if needed.
- Serve with spicy mayo!