Vegan Greek Meatball Gyro with Tzatziki Sauce
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
I’ve been going thru some bucket list concepts and these vegan Greek Meatball Gyro’s was one of them!! If you know me, you know I have an affinity for all the Greek flavors. Whether it’s the cucumber, oregano or fresh dill, I’m just all about it!
Typically gyro’s are meat based and commonly chicken or lamb. However, you can make a fab vegan alternative sans animal products that packs the same great flavor, and the vegan Greek Meatball Gyro was born!
What’s fab about this dish, is everything! It’s quick, easy, affordable, white bean based, flourless, packs tons of flavor, plant protein, texture with the nuts and mushrooms, the tzatzki puts it over the top, it’s perf for any season, can easily be made in bulk, great for entertaining, and is non vegan approved!!
If you love all things Greek or fresh modern vegan eats, you’re going to love this new vegan Greek Meatball Gyro with tzatzki sauce!
Why this recipe rocks:
Packed with flavor
Hight plant based protein
Can easily be made in bulk
Eat Drink Shrink
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (cooking meatballs &garlic/onion/mushrooms)
- 1 can of white beans (drained/rinsed)
- 1/2 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 cup slice mushrooms, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped (finely)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tbsps fresh oregano (or 1tsp dried)
- Salt/Pepper as needed
- 3 tbsps Follow Your Heart vegan eggs mixed with 6 tbsps water
- 3/4 cup Panko
- 1 cup plain vegan yogurt
- 1/2 cup english cucumber, sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tbsps fresh dill, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dry dill)
- 2 tsps garlic, minced
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 cup sliced English cucumber
- 1 cup arugula
- 3 whole wheat flatbreads
- Meatballs: Make the vegan eggs, set aside. The mixture should be slightly thick.
- Take all the prepped ingredients and combine in a large bowl sightly mashing together. You want to have at least 75% mashed with some beans still there to hold everything together. Form Balls and set aside.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil to med/high heat and cook the balls making sure to cook the entire ball 5-7 mins. The more balls on the pan the longer it takes to cook.
- Make the Tzatzki sauce: In a small bowl combine everything together, set aside.
- Assemble the gyros: to a flatbread (I like to warm mine up so they are more pliable) add arugula, Tzatziki sauce, and 2 meatballs. Top with sliced red onion, diced tomato, sliced cucumber, and additional Tzatziki sauce.
Other ingredients you can add: olives, lettuce, and my homemade tofu feta. Recipe on EDS!