Vegan Everything Bagel Soft Baked Pretzels
Hello & Happy Sunday!!
I don’t typically feature new recipes on Sundays, but it’s a holiday weekend and we’re all safe at home and hopefully exploring new recipes! Lately I’ve been obsessed with breads. Even as a seasoned foodie I dreaded working with yeast as it’s just so unpredictable. You could have the perfect recipe, but if the yeast is too old, your water is too hot or too cold, or you reacts poorly to anything, your recipe is doomed.
Needless to say, I gravitated away from bread recipes as it’s just so easy to pick something up from the market. However, today times are a little different with items being out of stock left and right, so it’s the perfect time to explore homemade varieties if you have the ingredients. As of the last week we’ve done Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels, Rosemary Parmesan, Jalapeño Cheddar and now these fab vegan Everything Bagel Pretzels!
If you shop at Trader Joes, I guarantee you’ve heard of Everything Bagel Seasoning! It encompasses sesame seeds, sea salt, garlic, onion and more. It’s honestly the perfect blend and we ironically would always get that bagel option while living NYC for almost 10 years. You can throw this blend on anything and everything, even roasted carrots and it’s so good!
What’s great about these pretzels, is everything! The recipe is straightforward, easy, has minimal ingredients, buttery soft, perfect for any season, packs tons of flavor, can be made into bites, are great for entertaining, could pair well with a variety of sauces, and are my newest obsession!
If you love all things pretzels or all things Everything Bagel, you’re going to love these new vegan Everything Bagel Soft Baked Pretzels!
Why this recipe is great:
No dairy or eggs
Perfect for any season
Can be made into bites
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 c bread flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp of sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon of active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup of warm water +2 tbs
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 9 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 3 tbsp Everything Bagel Seasoning
- In a large bowl, add 2/3 cup warm water, sugar, and yeast.
- After 5 minutes, add the oil, bread flour, white flour and salt to the yeast mixture.
- Combine with hands until it forms a doughRemove the dough from bowl, add a little bit of oil to coat the bowl and prevent sticking, and place dough back, Cover with plastic wrap or a towel.
- Let proof for 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the bowl. Break the dough into 4 sections and start shaping the dough. With each piece I work the middle with both hands and press outward to stretch the dough into ropes. Bring the dough around in a circle and twist as you come down and placing the opposite ends of the bottom and press. The thinner you make them the more defined they will be. I love big and fluffy so that was my approach.
- Preheat the oven to 425 Fahrenheit.
- In large pot, combine water and baking soda and bring it boil.
- After shaping the pretzels, soak the pretzels one at a time for 20-30 seconds. They should float to the top. Any more and they may have too much of a metallic taste.
- Place pretzel on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
- While still damp from the baking soda bath, sprinkle with Everything Bagel Seasoning. Bake for 5-10 minutes. Rotate mid bake.
- Turn oven on broil and bake for an additional 3 minutes. Be sure to watch them to prevent burning.
- Remove from oven, allow to slightly cool. Serve warm!