Vegan Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchiladas
Hello & Happy Tuesday!!
When I decided to pursue cooking full time, sweet potato and black bean enchiladas were one of the first recipes I produced! For myself I had never experienced sweet potatoes in a Mexican food concept and was intrigued by how the flavors would blend together. As I imagined, it blended seamlessly when coated with spices and had notes of lime and a hint of sweet! (It’s my secret to enhancing the flavor)
Let me first start by saying I never was an “enchilada” person even before my plant based days. They never looked appetizing and always appeared soggy to me lol. Who wants soggy tacos?! (ironically my husband loves them) However, you can gravitate away from the traditional enchiladas in your own kitchen and switch things up!
With a few modifications homemade enchiladas can be quite the flavorful dish, be nutrient packed, and not even put a dent in your pocket! Many may argue that these stray too far from the traditional enchiladas. If you prefer the traditional corn tortilla, smashing the filling, omitting the avocado cream you’re more than welcome to modify this dish!
What I love about this dish is, everything! It’s accessible, affordable, sweet, savory, nutrient dense, filling, effortless, enchilada sauce can be used for other dishes, can easily be made in bulk, perfect for any season, perf for entertaining, have aesthetic appeal, and the avocado crema can be used for other dishes!
If you’re looking for new ways to love sweet potatoes or simply love a good enchilada, you have to try my recipe for vegan Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas with avocado crema!!
Why this recipe rocks:
So many flavors!
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 4-6 enchiladas
25 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 large red onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 2/3 cup pickled jalapeños (chopped)
- 2-3 sweet potatoes washed/peeled/chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- salt and pepper
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 10+ sprigs cilantro
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 6 large tortillas
- 1 8oz can Enchilada Sauce
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 avocado garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and slice potatoes, coat in olive oil, lime juice, spices, salt/pepper. Bake for 30 minutes, tossing mid bake, until soft and slightly crispy. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute diced onion and minced garlic, for about 5 minutes. When onions are tender, reduce heat and add cumin, chile powder, rinsed black beans and jalapeños. Toss in the cooked sweet potatoes, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add about 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce to the sweet potatoes and black bean mixture. Toss and coat.
- In a glass dish cover the bottom with a layer of enchilada sauce. (optional, I prefer not to as it makes enchiladas more soggy)
- Distribute the sweet potato mixture in the center of tortillas. Roll up the tortilla, placing them seam side down. Top with remaining sauce. Bake for about 25 minutes. Make the avocado cream.
- Avocado crema: throw everything in a food processor, blend until smooth. Store in the fridge until ready to use!
- To serve: garnish with avocado crema, cilantro, avocado, and red onion.
*Skip the enchilada sauce at the bottom of the dish to be enjoy them throughout the week! (they will get soggy otherwise)