Vegan Curried Butternut Squash Soup
Hello & Happy Thursday!!
When the seasons shift, I’m on the edge of my seat waiting to enjoy all my favorites. When it comes to fall, I’m all about the soups! They are quick, easy, affordable, you can pack on the veggies, and they can be so filling!
At restaurants you’ll typically find soups packed with animal products and heavy on the sodium. However, when made from scratch, you can choose the ingredients and how much salt you need.
When it comes to butternut squash, you can’t go wrong. The veggie organically has a sweet flavor profile and pairs well both savory and sweet. While I love the basic butternut squash soup, I love to mix it up and curry is my favorite approach. While I don’t do a lot of curry in my dishes, I love it in this soup as it just adds a depth to that butternut squash flavor we all know and love.
What’s fab about this soup, is everything! It’s quick, easy, affordable, veggie packed, flavor packed, has a gorgeous hue, a rich creamy texture, perf for any season, has a hint of sweet and a hint of heat, can easily be made in bulk, will sweep even those who are opposed to curry anything, instantly off their feet!!
If you’re searching for the perf butternut squash soup or love all things curry, you’re going to swoon for this effortless vegan Curried Butternut Squash Soup!!
Why this recipe is great:
Can easily be made in bulk
Per for any season!
Eat Drink Shrink
Yields 4 bowls of soup
5 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion (1 large onion)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1lb package frozen butternut squash (you can use fresh)
- 1 Tbsps + 1tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 14-ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 tbsp agave, maples syrup or coconut sugar (optional, I did it without)
- 1 tsp salt + Pepper as needed
- Toasted cashews
- Coconut milk
- Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- Once hot, add coconut oil, yellow onion cook for 5 minutes until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add butternut squash and season with a salt/pepper, curry powder, and ground cinnamon. Stir to combine the flavors, and cook for an additional 4 minutes. stirring occasionally.
- Add coconut milk, vegetable broth, optional maple syrup, & raw cashews.
- Bring to a low boil over medium heat and then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the cashews are soft. (if you use fresh butternut squash, cook until fork tender)
- In a large blender add everything and blend on high until creamy and smooth. Return soup back to pot.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Continue cooking for a few more minutes over medium heat.
- Serve as is or with garnishes of choice (options above). Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer up to 1 month. Soup will thicken after stored, simply just add more broth to adjust the texture.