Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
Hello & Happy Monday!!
I wasn’t going to feature this recipe just yet as I whipped it up just over the weekend, but it came out SO GOOD. Spring is coming, but I love a good soup and sandwich any day of the week and I was just so taken by how it came out! Broccoli Cheddar Soup is one of those concepts that everyone gravitates towards. It’s a staple, but it’s typically laden with heavy cream and cheese, which negates the purpose of a good soup!
A good soup can pack tons of flavor, but doesn’t need all that added salt, heavy cream, and cheese. This applies to all the standard soups. Sometimes less is just, ..more.
As a soup enthusiasts I was thinking of which soup to do next and the thought of a basic broccoli cheddar bored me. I personally don’t like a chunky soup, because I typically pair mine with toast. So I prefer the texture I experience to be with the toast, not in my soup lol.
That being said, I knew I had to do a Cream of Broccoli. Not only because the recipes online were minimal, but because it just makes for a more effortless soup that has way more aesthetic appeal than browned chunky broccoli soup.
What’s great about this soup, is simply everything! It’s quick, cheap, easy, has minimal steps, but packs maximum flavor, has protein from the cashews making it more filling, looks gorgeous, creamy, dreamy, perf for any season, could turn into a gazpacho, great for entertaining, and just my new favorite soups!
If you’re all about everything broccoli or love Broccoli Cheddar Soup, you’re going to fall in love with this new vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup!!
Why this recipe is great:
Packed with veggies
Non vegan approved
Eat Drink Shrink
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 4 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped (2/3 cup)
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 cups broccoli florets, 12 ounces
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 cup soaked raw cashews
- Handful of fresh spinach (optional)
- Ground black pepper and salt to taste
- Garnish: chopped parsley + toasted pine nuts
- In a medium sized stock pot, sauté onions, carrots, garlic, and celery, 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and broccoli, bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook 7-10 minutes until broccoli has softened. In a large blender add the soaked cashews, almond milk, and broth/broc mixture.
- Blend until smooth and return to the pot to simmer on low. Add additional broth if needed to achieve desired consistency.
- You may have to do this in segments depending on the size of your blender.
- Add fresh spinach to brighten the color, optional.
If you don't have time to soak cashews, simply pop them in the microwave for 2 minute increments until softened.